A history of the Rotary Club of Tawa
1969 - 1991
The possibility of forming a Rotary Club in Tawa was investigated as far back as 1951 according to records held at
the headquarters of Rotary International. The developing city of Porirua was eventually chosen as the home for a
new club for the area in 1960 and the new Borough of Tawa was included in its territory. Although there were
many potential Rotarians in Tawa there were insufficient to maintain a club under then existing Rotary rules
relating to membership, which made no provision for a residential qualification. This was not introduced until 1968.
See the history written by Gerald S. Aburn.